Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Times in Tamworth

It's been another incredible week in the service of the Lord. I've officially been in Tamworth a whole week, and have had a great experience so far. 
Here's some information on the Investigators we're working with:

Vincent and Evan- two taiwanese YSA staying in Tamworth to work at the meat factories. They both have set the date of April 19th for their baptism, and they're both so prepared! Like seriosuly, they're about as good as investigators come. I'm really excited for them :)

Greg- Greg is the partner of a returning member. They want to get married but can't until her divorce papers are final, so as soon as they can get married, he'll be baptised. He's solid as, calls himself a "Dry Mormon", and loves studying. LOVES it. Could you ask for anything better?

Kim and Conner (her son)- Kim lives across the street from the chapel and just decided to come one day to check it out. She's also pretty awesome but is struggling because I think she got offended a church once. She had a baptismal date before so hopefully we'll help her recommit to that!

We're also meeting with a pastor of a Pentecostal church, his name's Rick, but I don't really count him as an investigator because he just likes to practice his sermons on us.. haha. Very nice man, though.

So I'm sure you're all wondering, as I have been as well, about the Koreans in Tamworth. Well I am happy to report that THEY EXIST! Actually some pretty cool miracles associated with the Koreans of Tamworth this week: I was praying super hard to meet some Koreans this week. On Friday we were street contacting and I walked by a Japanese restaurant, and felt prompted to go inside and see if the Hostess was Korean. Seemed odd, but I went on inside and sure enough, she and the entire staff were Korean!! Pretty cool miracle, I got to talk with them on and they agreed to let us stop by again sometime. 
Another miracle: Every Saturday the missionaries go up to this sports center and play basketball with heaps of people. Well I'm proud to let you all know that yes, I did play basketball, and even though I am pretty terrible at it still managed to make it through the morning! The best part of the experience, however, is that the ONLY TWO Koreans in the entire center somehow made it over to me and we got put on a team together. Coincidence? Not a chance. I was able to talk with them, and turns out that one of the Koreans, Simon, is obsessed with America (Strange, right...?) probably more than I am obsessed with Korea, and has been looking everywhere to meet an American in Tamworth. Lucky match, hey? Anyways they live in a house full of Koreans and they're all coming to basketball this Saturday so we can all meet. 
And finally my favorite Korean miracle. Elder Ripley and I ran to the store to grab some last minute things and bumped into a Korean couple. They were super nice and we had a really good conversation. Turns out she really wants her partner to start coming to church, and he is afraid because his English isn't that good. Needless to say they agreed to have us over this week for some Kimchi and Korean/English practice, as well as our message... score!! 
Overall, I think I can say after my experiences this week that there's no doubt in my mind the Lord knew what He was doing when he sent me out to the middle of nowhere. This really is His work and my job is just to be worthy and willing enough to let Him work through me.

Church on Sunday was awesome. The organist wasn't there, and so Bishop asked me to play for the hymns. Strangely enough they only have an organ, no piano, but I still agreed. After all, how much different is the organ to the piano?
 Well, let me tell you all something... the organ is pretty different. I had no clue how hard it is to try to play with your feet, too!! I definitely overestimated my abilities, but it was still fun to try, and it has given me the resolve to learn how to play the organ now. All in all, it wasn't too bad though- we still made it through all the songs okay. In church there were about 21 people total, and so for Sunday School and Priesthood/RS we ended up being combined. It was actually really fun, it's kind of like having FHE with 2 or 3 families. It was certainly a different experience to what I'm used to, but it was really humbling for me and warmed my heart to see those 21 faithful members who still come even when it's so small. 

So, my overall thoughts for Tamworth so far: I LOVE IT. One thing I noticed straight away, is that almost everyone I smiled and said good morning to... smiled and said good morning back to me. That has almost never happened to me before! I loved it! Another great thing about Tamworth is the traffic.. or more like lack thereof. It is seriously a million times better to drive in Tam than in Sydney, I'll tell you that. One thing that's pretty funny is whenever someone here hears my accent, they call me a Yank! How hilarious is that! Even better, they all call my English companion a POME- Prisoner of Mother England. Pfahaha. These people are too funny. I think I'm really settling in nice to this place.

As for an Aussieism- "Mad Kalar" is what they call someone who's crazy or nuts. A Kalar is a native Australian bird that attacks people or something? From what I understand. Pretty great phrase, in my opinion. 

Well, hope you all have a great week!! Thanks for listening~

Cheers,

Elder Easton

photo 1: The countryside of Tamworth... can you say scenic?!
photo 2: May need some explanation. On the Left is Tyson, he's 18 and literally SO STOKED to go on his mission it's incredible. His dream spot? Salt Lake City! The guy on the right is Adam, he's Tyson's NM friend who came to our ward activity. As for me? Well... I dropped some dinner in my plate and it splattered everywhere. "Pullin' a Betty" as the Easton's call it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment