Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Times in Tamworth 10

Sometimes, I can't help but feel overwhelmed at just how good life is and how much the Lord blesses us! Even in the midst of trials and challenges, the Lord never ever forgets us.

My week began with a two-day exchange in Armidale. Can I just say it's beautiful? It's the geographically highest town in Australia, and as a result it's nice and chilly and has possibly 3 times as many trees changing color as the rest of Oz. So it's a natural feast for the eyes, for sure.

But more than the outside beauty were the miracles we saw there! Armidale has a uni in it, so I got to do some Uni Contacting which was really fun. I even met a Korean, Woot Woot! But more so than that, one experience that really stood out for me was working with the Couple missionaries there- the Hokansons (they're from Missouri). The Hokanson's were at the chapel on Monday doing their emails when a young man, probably in his 20's, knocked on the door. They answered it to meet Chris, a uni student who was a former investigator from maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Chris was distraught- he was down-cast, depressed, and needed some serious uplifting. Turns out he'd made quite a few mistakes recently, and remembering the feeling he had while investigating the church those years back, decided to go to the chapel in the hopes that someone would be there who could help him overcome his feelings of doubt, despair, and guilt. Was it a coincidence that right at the same time the Hokansons were at the chapel? Not a chance.

Anyways, the Hokansons invited me to be a part of their lessons with him on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Those two lessons were some of the most incredible and spiritual lessons I've had on my mission so far. My heart was hurting so bad from seeing Chris so down, but then it combined with the most exciting feeling that we were holding the answers that really could help him- the Gospel of Jesus Christ- which mixed into a pretty great feeling, I think some call it a "burning in the bosom". With this burning inside me, I was able to testify to him of the power of the Atonement and that I knew he'd come to the right place, the only place where he could find solace and peace. The Spirit was present and we all began to weep. And to see Chris the next day, after the first lesson, you wouldn't have even recognised him- he was a changed man already. His countenance had more color, his head held higher, and his eyes no longer looking down. I know without a doubt that he was feeling God's love- and that already Christ was succoring him, as the scriptures say. What a sweet and tender thing to get to witness. The Hokanson's are still teaching him, and I can't wait to hear how things progress.

Thursday morning we came home from Armidale to have an exchange with the Zone Leaders! So a very busy day again, but I loved it. I was with Elder Bardsley, an Elder from Perth, and we met up at taught Adam (Adam is the new investigator from last week, who is friends with a member, Tyson). We taught the Restoration, and the spirit was groovin'. I could tell that Tyson's family has taught and influenced Adam over the years, because he basically knew the whole Restoration and had no qualms or questions. At the end of the lesson, we invited him to prepare for baptism, and he accepted!! Miracles from heaven! At the end of the lesson he said the prayer for us, and the spirit was really strong. It's the best thing to see that some people really are just prepared for the gospel.

Last week we added a new investigator from tracting, 15-year-old Patrick. His mom wasn't home at the time, so he invited us to come back another day and teach his family. We were a little worried that we would get there just to have his mom shoo us away, but thought we'd try it nonetheless. Well the Lord is definitely teaching me to doubt not and be positive, because the exact opposite happened. We chatted a little with Patrick and his mom on the doorstep, and instead of kicking us out she said, "I'm totally over this standing-at-the-door thing. Want to sit down and have a cuppa?". Bazinga, we're in!!! After politely denying the coffee for a glass of water instead, we ended up teaching Patrick, his mom Chris, and sister Amanda, and set up an appointment next week. Our main conversation topic? "Everything happens for a reason". How true is that!

And now for some of the most incredible miracles of the week. Elder Ripley and I had no investigators planning on coming sunday- Greg's out of town, Matt had work, and Adam couldn't make it. Well as I'm choristing during the first song I see two of our potential investigators come in, followed by one of their friends!! Miracles! The coolest thing is that we had invited them maybe two or three weeks ago, and thought they'd blown us off. Not so! They're all from Taiwan and at the end of sacrament meeting, asked us for a Book of Mormon. 

But that's not the end. After sacrament meeting, I walk over to Elder Ripley to see him talking to an Asian girl I hadn't noticed come in. He looks up at me and says, "This is Sarah! Guess where she's from?" That's right, ladies and gentlemen, she was KOREAN!!!! Here's the story: Sarah came into town yesterday with her brother to work at the chicken factory here in town. Well on Sunday morning she just typed in "Church" into her iPhone's GPS and it took her to our chapel. The Lord, quite literally, guided her to our church and basically sat her right in my lap. I was blown away. As soon as I began talking to her, I had to hold back tears, because I was just so overwhelmed at Heavenly Father's tender mercy to me. Was I excited? I think that's an understatement. The coolest part is that earlier in the day I had been contemplating my purpose for learning Korean and being in Tamworth. The only Korean we'd been seeing moved back this past week to Korea, and we hadn't even taught him a full lesson before. I was feeling a bit down and out about the whole thing, and honestly wondered my part to play. Well if that wasn't an answer from God, I don't know what is! It reminds me so much of Proverbs 3:5-6~ "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths". This week, and this miracle especially, has been a lesson for me in Trusting the Lord.

Now as for the Aussieism, I'd like to refer to a specifically Tamworthism. Tamworth is Australia's "Country Music Capital"- aka Oz's Nashville, Tennessee- and every year in January they have a 14-day concert palooza. Anyways I found out this week that one of those concerts is where KEITH URBAN WAS DISCOVERED!!! I thought it was pretty cool, at least- who'd've thought a small town like this could've held such great talent? 

Well, I love you all heaps, and hope you find the miracles in your life this week as well.

Cheers,

'Elda' Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment