Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Times in Tamworth 8

Happy Mother's Day!!
What a joy it was to talk to everyone today. It made my day! But don't worry, I won't let it make me trunky.. back to work we go!
 
I do want to take a minute to mention how much a mission has helped me appreciate my "mum". Here are just a few examples:
-I now know food doesn't just magically appear in the cupboards and fridge
-Cooking is much more of a talent than I'd thought
-Somehow moms are just so good at keeping on top of cleaning and laundry! Like seriously how do you do it?!
-And so, so, much more...
 
So, on behalf of missionaries everywhere, THANK YOU MOMS! for doing all that you do, and with love.
 
This week we had a Zone Training meeting in Coffs Harbour. The meeting was so good- we talked about changing the culture of the "Coffs Harbour Zone". Some missionaries in our mission view going to the "Country Zone" as a punishment, and think the work will be slow and the members unmotivated. It's totally not the case! The work is bustling, and we are only limited by our perceptions. In order to make the work change in our individual areas, we have to change our attitude and outlook about it. I really like that thought.
 
We saw Matt this week, and had a stellar lesson with him. We talked about faith, and helped him realise that even just reading the Book of Mormon is an act of faith, because we're believing that when we read it we might find an answer or feel the truthfulness of it. It was a great reminder for me- whenever we feel like we're lacking faith, even the little things like attending church, reading the Book of Mormon or saying a prayer are active examples of the faith we do have. The key then is simply to recognise and build off that faith.
 
On Wednesday we were doing some tracting and were having 0 success, and unfortunately I was letting it get to me. We met this one lady who seemed so sad and lonely. She was bitter about her children and unhappy with her life. I felt so sure that the gospel would help her, and I did my best to share our message with her. She denied, but I continued, and I really felt like I had put "All the energy of heart" into getting her to listen to us. And yet, after my all was put into lovingly helping her, she still chose to decline our invitation. It felt like a blow to the stomach- a lady so obviously ready wasn't accepting the very thing that could and would bring her peace. I wanted to cry, I just felt so bad for her.
 
And then it seems like when we're lowest, Heavenly Father is merciful and lifts us up. Not two doors down from this lady, another woman opened the door. She was very friendly, and listened as we began to do the survey with her. She openly explained to us that her faith was lacking- her 42 year old brother had just passed away from cancer, and she lost belief in God- how could've God done that to a good man with a family, when there are hundreds of bums and jerks on the streets hurting and destroying others? Elder Ripley and I stopped the survey then and there and just began testifying to her of the Plan of Salvation and of God's love for her. I shared with her that it was no coincidence we knocked on her door, that God had sent us to her to tell her He loves her and has a plan for her family. I asked her if she felt the same way, and with tears in her eyes she said she believed that God had sent us as well. The Spirit was so strong as we stood on her doorstep, nothing more than two young men with the help of Heavenly Father. Her name is Karen, and we'll be seeing her this week- please pray for her. Since then, anytime we've gone tracting I remember Karen- every door we get rejected at is bringing us closer to a door that'll have another Karen. And that's a pretty tender feeling.
 
On Sunday we visited this potential investigator, Liken, who's from Taiwan. We had talked to him briefly on his porch, but he was skyping or something so didn't really talk to us. Well when we went to see him again he looked so confused as to why we were there. Don't worry though, we played it cool and just kept talking to him. He went and got his friend, Benson, who has better English than him. Benson came out and asked us, "Are you from a church?" we said yes, to which he asked, "Can we come to your church? We just came to Tamworth 3 weeks ago and are looking for a church to go to". Is there any doubt God puts us where we need to be, when we need to be?
 
The last miracle I want to share is a simple one- a house right across the street from the chapel is full of Koreans! I've felt prompted to knock on that door for awhile and finally did it yesterday, and to my enjoyment had a nice Korean chat! Hallelujah!
 
As for an Aussieism, on Mother's Day (Or 'Mum's Day' as they say here) the traditional flower to buy is white carnations. They were everywhere- white carnation boquets, boutineers and corsages- kind of a nice tradition to honor the moms, I think.
 
And a good scripture to check out is Alma 13:13. I love it!
 
Have a fantastic week and Be Strong!
 
Love,
 
 Elda Easton
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment