Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Times in Tamworth 11


안녕 안녕!!

Another eventful week in the best place in the world! Here's some news I have to report:

Sarah, the miracle Korean from last week, moved back to Brisbane on Saturday. I was heaps disappointed, but it's okay- I figure she was just the boost Heavenly Father needed to give me to keep me going. So just pray she'll get converted up in Brizzy :)

Matt, the Hugh-Jackman-look-alike, is progressing beautifully. We met up with him twice this week, and our first lesson was centered completely on baptism (his choice). When we went to the second lesson later in the week, his countenance had completely changed. He no longer had some of the anxieties and fears about joining the church- instead, he spoke calmly and assuredly aboutwhen he joins the church, not if. You know how the Doctrine and Covenants talks about the elect just being ready? Yes well Matt definitely falls into that category. He's still got some things to work out before baptism (aka getting married to his partner), but in the meantime it's incredible to see the Spirit work in his life and literally see his faith grow. 

Later in the week we met up with the single-mom family, Chris, Amanda and Patrick. We taught the Restoration and gave them all a Book of Mormon. The lesson was pretty good, they didn't give a whole lot of feed-back about their feelings, but they committed to read the whole Book of Mormon which was awesome.Have you ever had that feeling like you have the answer to someone's questions and problems, but they don't even realise they have those questions or problems? Yeah well that's definitely how I feel about this family, as in I don't think they are actively searching out religion or even feel like they may need it, but when you weigh their difficulties and challenges with the gospel's answers and solutions, you know it's a perfect fit. Then again, who am I kidding? The gospel is always a perfect fit. 

As for our other investigators we visited, we saw Lieken and Benson, two YSA age from Taiwan who came to church last week. The language barrier was a bit hard, but we taught them the Restoration and gave them Book of Mormons in English and Mandarin. They took it pretty well, and are excited to learn more, which is always a bonus.

This weekend we had our quarterly interviews with President Howes. With all the areas in my zone being spread hours apart, they split their visits to all the areas in two days. Tamworth was the last area of the first day, so after our interviews President and Sister Howes took us out to dinner!! Yum! President Howe's tire had gone flat during the interviews, however, so I had to drive them with us (scary!!) to dinner, and then after we changed the tire with the spare. Overall a fun evening!

Another great night was visiting the Csanki family (don't worry, they don't know how to pronounce it either). They live out in Woolomin, about 45 minutes out of town. I must say I am getting increasingly better at driving down country/dirt roads. Anyhow we had a great evening with their family, and they even let me feed their sheep and a wild possum. True country experience!!

The highlight of the week may have been our Ward Party on Saturday. It turned out to be a huge success- we had a really good turn out and a great potluck dinner, with some minute to win it games and trivia night (led by Elder Ripley). As I looked around at all the faces of members/less actives/investigators who we've been seeing these past 2 months, all together and having a good time, I was just filled with such peace and happiness, the same kind of feeling I get during Thanksgiving or Christmas- just being warm and good in the company of those you love. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

For a spiritual thought, I'd just like to share an experience I had during my interview with Sister Howes. Sister Howes has asked all the missionaries to prepare sort of like a life motto, or catchphrase for ourselves- a power phrase that really defines our core. I shared mine with her, and we moved on- she told me stories on how some missionaries had brought their phrase to her, but she knew it wasn't the one they were meant to have and they had then sought guidance together and had a revelatory experience in truly 'discovering' their phrase. 

Well as she told me this I felt in my heart that mine really wasn't mine- it wasn't what the Lord wanted it to be. I asked Sister Howes- "Do you think mine is the right one?" She laughed and said- "No, no it's not." I agreed and so together we started talking about what it really might be. Sister Howes asked me essentially why I have stayed a member of the church- why I'm on my mission, and why I believe it's all true. I answered it's because of the Atonement- actually finding relief from sin, having my burdens and stresses and anxieties literally lifted from me- that I'm here today. Because I know and am continually learning that the Atonement really works and that I can trust it to let go of past mistakes, I wanted to help others feel that same thing, too- I reckon it'd be kind of selfish of me not to offer that. 

Well Sister Howes quite simply responded- "It's easy for you, then. You're statement's got to be about the Atonement." Together we decided on the phrase "The Atonement is real". It was one of the coolest experiences I've had- the phrase just sung inside me, and I knew it's the one Heavenly Father wants for me. I just started laughing after we chose it- I just couldn't believe we had actually received a little piece of revelation right then and there! It was the simplest and yet one of the most profound feelings. 

Aaaaand as for an Aussieism, I thought that since it's coming up to winter time, I better share with you that everyone is getting 'crooked'- some have been 'crook' all week, some were 'crook' a while ago, and many more have yet to become 'crook'; no, I'm not talking about stealing or anything, but getting sick. The first time I heard it I actually thought it meant 'angry' or 'upset', but it actually means more like sniffles and the flu. Interesting. Well hopefully I won't be getting crook anytime soon!

Cheers,

'Elda' Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment