Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Times in Tamworth 7

The transfer has officially begun, and not much has changed- Elder Ripley and I are still companions in Tamworth! Whoo hoo! The only difference is I've been asked to be District Leader again, so that should be fun. This week we're going to Coff's Harbour again, but after that we won't go up again until the middle of June! So looking forward to that.
 
A huge miracle happened this week. We added 3 new investigators to our pool! One was a former, his name is Matt (great name, hey??). The previous missionaries had lost contact with him, but still had his address. I saw Matt's teaching record one morning and felt prompted to visit him asap. Right after studies, Elder Ripley and I headed off to his house, only to find out the same thing the other missionaries had- that he wasn't home. I was a little dissapointed- I was sure I had been prompted so that we could meet him right then and there, and he hadn't been home! One evening a few days later, however, I felt prompted to stop by his house again. We didn't have his teaching record with us, which had his address, but because we had visited it earlier in the week I remembered how to get to his house. This time, he was home!! He welcomed us in and we had a great discussion, and he's officially investigating again. I know that while we may not always see the immediate results, every whispering of the Spirit plays a part in God's plan for His children!
 
The other 2 investigators added this week were Janice and John, both found while tracting around the neighborhood the church is in. Janice is an Anglican Grandma and John is this agnostic man who lost his leg to diabetes. Both are awesome people- I look forward to meeting with them more!!
 
So I hope all of you are enjoying the warming weather in the States... Australia has suddenly become an ice block! This week it went from nice 23-25 degrees C to a sudden drop to 10 degrees C!! Freezing! The coldest it got was 6 degrees C, combined with wind chill and rain... burr!! Apparently it's very Australia-ish weather to just drop in the temp really quickly. Thankfully an elder in my last flat gave me a sweater, so I am staying warm!
 
One other miracle- we visit this LA lady every week, Sister Eyekamp. She is from the States, so of course me and her get on really well, haha. Anyways for the past 3 months she had come up with the silliest excuses for not coming to church- from overactive bladders to sniffles to sick cats- but we've always felt there was an underlying reason. Well yesterday as we visited with her, out of the blue she came out and said- "Now, there really is another reason why I don't come to church anymore, but I don't really like to talk about it..." afterwhich she shared her sincere concerns about the church,to which we carefully and lovingly responded to. It was just such a miracle because we felt as if we finally cracked through the ice with her! And are now on the road to helping her get back to where she needs to be. Such blessings.
 
As for an Aussieism, I am coming to notice they really like to drop the "the" on a lot of things... for example, they do not say "I was in the hospital last week" they say "I was in hospital last week". It's not "I mailed my letter at the post" but "I mailed my letter at post". Laziness? Perhaps. They say it's just savin' their breath.
 
And for a spiritual thought, in honor of the wintery weather here I'll share D&C 121:34- "Many are cold, but few are frozen"!!!
 
Love you all heaps,
 
Elda Easton
 
Photos:
Me, Cathy and Greg (Inv) having fish at their home... yum!
 
Me and the Korean, Billy (forgot to send photo last week)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment