Friday, March 28, 2014

A New Beginning

Goodbyes are the worst.
Yes, I have indeed been transferred! I'll let you know about the new place I'm at in a second, but first I'll fill you in on the happenings of my past week.
It was a pretty good week. I got to go on trade-offs to the UNSW campus elders, they're like undercover missionaries- they just wear normal clothes and walk around on the uni campus! It was a super fun experience, and I even met a few potential Koreans out of it.
Our investigators continue to do great, we GOT A BAPTISMAL DATE! His name's John, Chinese Student and should be getting baptised mid-April. Ray is also doing really well, we got her to church on Sunday which is a really big step for her.
Friday we found out most of the transfer details, and President told me I'd be leaving Summer Hill. So, I spent my weekend visiting those members I really wanted to say goodbye to. Man, it was a lot more difficult than I'd imagine. It felt like saying goodbye from home all over again- all these people I've spent the last 6 months with truly have become my family. They feed me, watch out for me, rejoice in my successes and console in my failures. I've really come to love Summer Hill, and the members of it!!! The hardest part for me to say goodbye to has been the Primary, actually. Sunday was a killer music time, the children sang so strong and powerfully. The Primary presented me a goodbye card, with all of their names signed on it. For the closing song we sang "Army of Helaman", only Sister Dalman (the Primary Chorister) played it and had me conduct... it was such an incredible experience! The kids stood and sang with the Spirit so incredibly it brought me to tears. I'm going to miss that wonderful little Primary.
With all the sadness of saying "See ya Later" to my Summer Hill family, I have some exciting news about where I've been transferred to! It's to the exotic city of...
Radiator Springs! Just kidding, although it may very well be the Australian equivalent. I've been banished (er, transferred) to the little town of Tamworth, located over 500 km north of beautiful and bustling Sydney. It's in the Coffs Harbour Zone of the mission, the very top of New South Wales.
Here's some info to give you an idea about where I'm at: 
Yesterday from transfers, we drove 4.5 hours up the coast to Port Macquaire, where we stayed the night. 
This morning I drove 3.5 hours west through a winding mountain pass in the Australian Rainforest.
Tamworth is in a little desert valley in between mountains... and it's hot. Imagine St. George, but less glitzy. 
AND I'M STOKED TO BE HERE!!! 
This place is literally in the middle of nowhere, but I am excited for an authentic Aussie experience. The work's going to be a lot different, and I probably won't see another missionary for another 5 weeks- everything's too spread out, so we don't even do trainings in person, but on the phone- but I know there's a reason God's sent me out here. I'm a little nervous, but excited to dig my heels down in the sandy dirt. After all, most of the missionaries up here stay for at least 6 months.. haha..
Speaking of companions, my new comp is Elder Ripley, an English Gent from York, UK! He's a riot, this'll be a really fun and interesting transfer. Hopefully we won't go too crazy, just the two of us. He has informed me there are actually a handful of Asians up here, working in the meat factories- and I sure can bet there's got to be at least one Korean! 
So yep, here I am, on another leg and another adventure of this missionary experience. It's going to be a lot different, but I'm ready. After all, "Come what may and love it".
Have a Great Week, and love you all heaps!
Cheers,
Elder Easton
p.s. Aussieism of the week: "Copper" is their nickname for the Police. But they don't actually say "Copper"... imagine it more like "Coppah". Hope you enjoy!

Photos: 
1. Me and the Summer Hill Primary
2. I got to visit the Harbour Bridge (er.. the scenic side) at least, before I was cast out!
Love you all :)


No comments:

Post a Comment