Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Here Again

Hello Again!
Another hectic week has flown by down under, and all is well. I'll start off with our investigators:
Jim- coming along really well, still no baptismal date but we continue to see him weekly and at church.
Ray- the sweetest little 80year old there ever was. Big progress- she told us she's seriously considering joining the church, which is awesome considering she only wanted to "learn more, in an academic sense". So cool how the Lord works.
Jo, Paul, Michael, John, Candy, Velinda, Yosuke- basically the same, uni students with the busiest schedules, or so they say. We got Michael to church though, which was a HUGE blessing!
And the rest we didn't see last week, they're all "Busy" (I hate that excuse the very most).
But yeah, the work is truly hastening! It's awesome to get to be a part of it!
The other Elders in Summerhill just had two baptisms, have two this weekend and two next weekend.. aka the pressure's on for Elder Evans and I to start pickin' it up. I hope we can start rolling too!
Some dissapointing news, last week we met with the Korean girl I found in the street and she actually was meeting with missionaries of another faith as well, and had chosen to learn from them instead... I was a little dissapointed, especially because I felt if I were only better in Korean it might've been different. Anyways we're on our way home and run into a recent convert, Pam, who wanted us to call her old classmate and invite him to learn more, and he just happened to be Korean! While we were talking to Pam in the streets, I saw a girl look back at me a few times, so I ran up and talked to her- turns out she is a LA member, Korean girl who was baptised a few years ago! So we set up an appointment to see her. Not thirty minutes later, I was walking down the street and ran into a Korean man and woman and got to chat with them! It was surely not a coincidence that those three things happened, in an area not known for having any Koreans at all. I knew it was Heavenly Father letting me know he was aware of how I'd been feeling, and that I was not to give up trying my best. It was seriously one of the simplest and yet most incredible miracles I've had in awhile. Ah, isn't He the best?! I may not be able to teach well in Korean, but I can sure as heck say "hello"! And I think that's all the Lord wants of me- to do what I can and let Him take care of the rest.
A funny experience that happened yesterday- 
We were sitting in the car planning our route of travel when I saw a crooked, wrinkly old woman wobble out to the street and try to wave down every car that passed. I thought it was curious, so I got out to talk to her, to realise she was sobbing and wailing, screaming as loud as she could (which wasn't much) at each car that drove by. Of course I ran over to her and asked if everything was okay. She motioned me over to her side, grabbed my hand to lean on and began guiding me to her house. I tried talking to her but she didn't speak English, besides that her sobs and moanings were about the only thing I COULD understand. She managed to get out that she was Lebanese but that was about it. Anyways of course my mind was trying to figure out what could warrant such wailing- was her house robbed? Is her husband having a heart attack right now? Is there someone dead in her house? That was honestly the magnitude of her crying, that I would think that. We got to this tiny little house, and she led us through her front room, her bedroom- I was looking on the bed to see if anyone was lying there, but no dice- and took us to the door of the bathroom. I opened it slowly, taking a breath before facing what was waiting inside.. to see nothing but a toilet, sink, dryer and washing machine. Wait what? And yet when she looked, her wailing intensified, and she walked in and started motioning to her washing machine. We looked at the floor, and saw that it had flooded a little, but the water was all draining through, well, the drain. All that commotion for.. a washing machine? And yet there it was, plain as day, what she'd been crying about. Needless to say we checked her washing machine and tightened everything up, made sure it wasn't still flooding, and tried to communicate with her. She understood nothing except that we were from America, afterwhich she started praising America and kissing our hands. Pretty weird. We showed her a picture of Jesus on a pass-along card, and she started kissing it, then pushing it to our chests, then kissing the picture again. I literally didn't know what we were supposed to do... haha. Eventually I found her phone and dialed one of the numbers which was saved in the directory and managed to get ahold of the lady's daughter, who thankfully spoke English and sorted everything out with her mom over the phone. It all worked out; I just have to say it was one of the strangest (and most anti-climactic) situations I've ever been in.
Aussieism for the week: "Shemozle". Any guesses on what it means? It's used to explain a situation, like "That meeting was a shemozle" or "My life is a shemozle right now!". Think you've got it? It means "A bit of a mess", "Chaos" or "totally turned around". It's an interesting one, eh?
As for a spiritual thought, I'd suggest checking out D&C 128: 22-24. Simply beautiful.
Well, that's all folks! Have a great week and hopefully you'll hear from me again in 7 short days.
Much Love,
Elder Easton   
 
p.s. the photos: My first Kangaroo burger!
Some of the Zone and Sister Feil, the Office Lady. She's the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment