Thursday, February 27, 2014

New Transfer

Hello Everyone!
The new transfer has begun, and the cycle of six weeks has started once more! I got my new companion on Wednesday night. His name is Elder Evans, he's 19, from Layton, Utah, and here's the best part: He's 6'7"!! Elder Evans has served for 3 transfers in the North Carolina Mission, but now he's finally made it to Australia. He's awesome, I'm really excited for the next few weeks with him.
A cool thing happened on Thursday. I was up in Carlingford on the temple grounds for some training. I was with the other District Leader in my zone, Elder Stephens, and after the training he wanted to stop by his uncle who works in the Church office building. Anyways I go to shake his hand, he reads my tag and says "Elder Easton. Ah, you're Jeff Easton's boy!" It totally threw me off! Turns out Elder Stephen's uncle is Jared Hart, who is dad's good friend up in Baulkham Hills! It was really great to finally get in touch with him. Not to mention he took us out to lunch, too.. hehe.
So our investigators are going good, Jim and Graham are still cookin' along. Ray, our new investigator from the resting home, is awesome as! She's really sincere in all the questions she asks and her desire to learn more. We also had a miracle yesterday at church- this lonely looking lady came in and sat through sacrament. I went up to her after and talked to her- her name is Sue, she's in her 60's and was baptised about 20 years ago but went less-active right away. She decided finally last week that it was time for her to come back, because she knows that the church is true and it's what she's supposed to do! Which was really great to hear, we'll be working with her now to help her get ready for the temple and all that. Super exciting.
Because there's a major Hospital in our area (Royal Prince Alfred), I get the awesome opportunity of going and giving blessings to anyone in the hospital that requests one. Elder Evans and I went and gave a blessing to this boy on Friday, and it was a really neat experience. He had got in a fight or something and was bashed in the head and face, with broken ribs, leg and arm. It was pretty bad. Only his auntie was mormon, so it was extra special to have him and his non-member family there to experience it. The spirit was so strong- it was wonderful.
The Aussieism for the week: A Stroller (like for children) is called a "Pram", and a Shopping Cart, a "Trolley". Reminds me of Harry Potter.
As for the Spiritual thought, this week one of the Elders in my flat suggested that I read through my Patiarchal blessing, and combined with Moroni 10/D&C 46, to try to identify Spiritual Gifts that Heavenly Father has given us. It was incredible- I had never looked at my blessing like that before, but there are so many promises and potential in it. Heavenly Father has given us so many things, and it's our job to cultivate and refine those gifts. It made me think about the advice Uncle Charlie gave me before I left on my mission- that so many people focus on fixing their weaknesses, that they never work on their strengths- therefore ending up with very mediocre skills. However, when we focus on the strengths we have, on what we're good at, then we're able to reach more of our potential. I think that reflects perfectly with each of our own divine potentials here on this earth.
Well, I love you all heaps, and hope your week is great! Keep up the strong work,
Elder Easton 

No comments:

Post a Comment