Sunday, February 2, 2014

It's Elder Easton!

Hello Again,
This has been a wonderful week.  I have some exciting news (well, it is for me at least): Elder Bettridge and I got asked to be the "beta testers" for Elders at Uni of Sydney! Aka that means that we'll be spending the rest of the transfer only finding and teaching on and around the University of Sydney campus- the rest of the ward falls under the second set of Elders in Summer Hill. I'm super excited! Uni's have really high success rates, and so Elder Bettridge and I are to see if Uni of Sydney will be as fruitful as other Uni areas (just so you know, I'm still in the same flat, same ward, etc- just different activities now). It's been wonderful so far. The first time we went finding there, I taught 6 lessons, got 2 potential investigators and 2 new investigators! Which is a really big deal- the most I've ever done at once! So I'm excited to see the miracles from this change of scenery.
As for other investigators, we set a baptismal date for Graham-February 15th! I'm really stoked, he's come a long way so far. We're still seeing Jim, he's still unsure about baptism. We'll keep trying! It's been a blessing to see such a positive change in everyone's lives as we share the gospel with them.
On Wednesday we went to a feed with some Cook Islanders in our ward. There was so. much. food. It reminded me of family parties back home- they lay all the food out and then everyone just helps themselves. After we ate, they pulled out their ukuleles and guitars and sang island songs for us. As you can imagine, I was in paradise! Even though I just hummed along, it was still so beautiful to listen to their islandy voices and harmonies. For the spiritual thought, I asked if I could use the guitar and share a song with them- so dad, I guess I can let you know those guitar lessons weren't in vain! I was rusty, but it was still so great to get to sing with them.
Speaking of islanders, on Friday I had an exchange and went into the Eastlakes (or Tongan) area. There was KFC at every appointment! Haha. I met some Wolfgrams- aren't Grandpa Easton's neighbors Wolfgrams?- and for dinner, I got a whole chicken. Like literally one of those rotisserie chickens just for myself. I tried my best, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I'm not fat enough yet to be able to eat all of it. 
On Saturday I had dinner at the Cutlers, who live in a little apartment in Pyrmont, with a window that looks right onto Darling Harbour. During dessert, the Darling Harbour fireworks went off and I got to see them! Which was really awesome.
Sunday I sang in Church- "I Believe in Christ". It felt good to get to sing again.
Yesterday we had a mission conference with nearly the whole mission, and the special speaker was the area 70, Elder O'Riordan. It was inspirational, to say the least. Before the meeting I really prayed that I would learn something new and that I'd be inspired as to the course of action I should take in Summer Hill, and boy did I get an answer! It was so incredible to hear perfect answers to all the questions I had come straight out of Elder O'Riordan's mouth. If I doubted before, I definitely know now that Heavenly Father really does know me personally and cares about me. 
One thing I've been pondering a little bit about this week has been Foreordination. It sprang up from a topic in Sunday School a few weeks ago- there was an old man who said Foreordination ensures that something will happen to you. We all know that's not true- Foreordination is more like the potential we have, and is still conditional upon our own choices and actions. I think about how we have all been foreordained to every calling we've ever had and will ever have- and it's up to us to live worthy and ready so when the time comes, we will be able to fulfill what the Lord requires of us. I was discussing this with Brother Iakoba, a member who's come back to church last year after about 10 years of inactivity. He said it kills him to think of all the things he was supposed to do for the Lord that he was Foreordained to do, but didn't because of his choices. He told me that I better not ever waste the opportunity to reach the potential Heavenly Father has given me because of laziness, unworthiness or stupidity. It's just not worth it. I think that applies to me very much so right now as a missionary- I've been Foreordained to be here in Australia right now, so it's my responsibility to do my best to make the most of it. I think it applies as well to each one of us- as long as we are living the best we can to the commandments and laws of God, we know that it's exactly where we're supposed to be. I hope we all can live up to our own personal Foreordinations, because we all have a special calling to attend to, I know it.
An Aussieism for the week: A "Texter" is the word they have for "Expo/White Board Marker". Don't know the connection.. but just so you know if you ask for the "Expo Markers", they'll grab you sharpies.. I'm learning new things everyday!
Love you all heaps!
Elder Easton


No comments:

Post a Comment