Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Australia Day!


As the Aussies would say, "Happy 'Straya Day!" It's been a great (and Patriotic) week down under.
The weather's been overcast all week, which has been really nice to curb off the heat. Everywhere else in Australia is having record heat waves, so it's nice to be in the cool for once.
Investigators are doing well, we're continuing to work with Graham and Jim, both older Aussies. Graham should be getting baptised next month- exciting times!!
The highlight of my week was probably eating dinner with the Stokes- she happened to find Dr. Pepper at a market and graced me with one of those cans of sweet nectar. Oh how I missed Dr. Pepper. 
The Tongan Elders had their first baptism this transfer, and so that means I got to do my first baptismal interview! It was hectic. I do not envy the bishops and stake presidents at all- they can be hard work! Thankfully, it all worked out. 
I had an interesting experience at church yesterday- the primary chorister was out of town, so instead of having me play the piano they asked me to lead! Mom, I have no idea how you did it.. it was intimidating up in front of those kids! I definitely prefer playing the piano, haha. Still fun. After Church we headed to the park, only to find heaps of festivals going on, and no one really interested in talking about religion. There were heaps of Aboriginals there- with the big Australia Day Holiday, all the aboriginals rally up and call the holiday "Invasion Day". They burn Aussie flags and make lots of anti-aussie commotion. I found it really interesting- I don't think anyone in the states would ever let that happen!
This week I read an article on Integrity by Elder Tad R. Callister. He's one of my favorites. Anyways it really stuck out to me for some reason, how having integrity is more than just changing behavior- it's changing nature. He talked about how integrity is the foundation for all other Christlike Attributes- having integrity with yourself and with others builds the strength you need in developing just about any quality. Just food for thought.
The Aussiesim for this week: Blue=angry, wanting to fight. If someone says, "Oh, he was blue today" it means he was grumpy and easily provoked. Funny how it means something definitely different in the States.
Sorry for the short letter! It's been a crazy, but great, week. Love you all heaps and enjoy the rest of January!
Love you heaps, 
Elder Easton
P.S. Happy Birthday, Katie!


Pictures: Me and Mikayla Byrne at the Primary clean-up activity
The Pavlova and Dr. Pepper... yum
At a members house- I'm holding home grown bananas and, yes in fact, a machete! It was a little slice of Fiji.

No comments:

Post a Comment