Thursday, February 27, 2014

Happy Chinese New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone! This has been a week of miracles. Elder Bettridge and I have more than tripled our investigators, adding heaps of students from the uni. We are still teaching Graham (who didn't come to church this week- his baptism's been pushed to the 22nd), Jim (agreed to baptism, not comfortable setting a date yet), and Romario, but we've also added Jessica, Jerry, Weijan, and Angie (Chinese), Paris and Liz (Taiwanese couple), and Yosuke and Valinda (Japanese couple). It's wonderful!!
Some interesting news. The other elders had to give their car to another set of misisonaries, so we are back to sharing a car between the 4 Summer Hill elders. It's a great experience for me to practice sharing and patience.. haha. As for the Aussie children, school started again which means morning and afternoon traffic again, but I think most of the moms here are pretty happy. The most exciting thing that's happened this week, however, was CHINESE NEW YEAR! There've been heaps of celebrations and festivals going on all around the city, from dragon dances to lantern parades- as you can imagine, I'm in paradise! Chinese people love handing out those good ole Red Envelopes, and I certainly don't object to receiving them. We didn't get a break or anything for the holiday, however, but it's been great for finding activities. Hoorah for the Chinese!
Another big event happened, in terms of my taste buds- I ate olives! We had dinner at a members, and the chicken pasta was packed full of them. They tasted exactly how I've always imagined them to be- nasty. I figured mom and dad would still be happy to know I managed to swallow them down.
Speaking of food, I found a little convenience store that sells American Soda! Even better, they have cans of Cherry Dr. Pepper.... =heaven.
I did have a bit of a blonde moment this week... I lost our cell phone at the park. It's a long story, but needless to say it's been a pain without a phone. We can't contact anyone, and no one can reach us- the worst part is it had heaps of potential investigator's numbers in there we probably won't get back. Hopefully we'll get a new one this week, but I just have to keep hoping and praying that something good will come out of my forgetfulness- then again, Heavenly Father definitely knows how to work, even with our weaknesses! That's what I'm banking on anyhow.
Cool experience yesterday- two of the Korean sisters at church found me after sunday school and asked me to give them each a blessing. The only problem... they didn't speak English. It was pretty rough, but I did my best at giving a blessing in all Korean. I had to use a few English words, but I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father was helping me out with those- there's no other way I could've made it through those! So that was pretty neat.
Aussieism for the week- Speaking of soda, there's a drink here called "L&P". It's actually from New Zealand, but it's getting bigger here- it's this delicious lemon soda drink. They also make L&P chocolate.. it's pretty interesting. If you ever get a chance, try it!
And finally the Spiritual thought. I have read Mosiah 5 a few times this past week. Simply beautiful. It talks about taking upon us the name of Christ- I especially like verse 12. As a missionary, that's what I'm inviting people to do- to take Christ's name through baptism. But as I've pondered I think more and more how taking His name is not just at baptism, but a continual process we have to work on for our whole lives. I suppose that's where "Enduring to the End" comes in!
Well, love you all heaps, and hope the Super Bowl turns out well for you.
Til next time,
Elder Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment