Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Harbour City Happenings 3


Wow, time certainly does fly here! I can't believe another week's already passed by. I am really loving it here in the city- my feet ache and my back is sore, and it's never felt better. The missionary work is a constant rush, and there's always something to do. It's a missionary's haven!!

This week we finally got to meet a referral from Brisbane, Robb. He's an Aussie man, probably in his 40's or 50's, and is studying art here in Sydney. He was a really nice bloke and seems pretty interested in the gospel. He even came to church yesterday, what a miracle!! We may have to give him over to the family ward, however, because he technically doesn't fall under the YSA ward category... but we'll see! Haha.

One fun experience happened while street contacting this week. I was talking to this Korean lady who seemed pretty unsure about me, until I told her I was a missionary- her eyes lit up and she told me it was a very good thing I was doing. She said she was Buddhist, and not interested, but was grateful for what we did- then she reached into her bags and gave me a whole heaps of bananas. It was pretty funny- I've never had anyone thank me on the street before! Certainly a boost to the day.

I learned a valuable lesson this week about being clear in our message. I was talking to a chinese student who seemed pretty disinterested about what I was sharing- I told him I taught about God and I help people find out if God is real, and what it could mean for them. I asked for his number and he declined, saying he wasn't really interested- and just as he was walking away, he turned to me and said, "Wait, do you teach about Jesus?" I responded positively, and he explained that he went to a Christmas Mass last year and has actually been really intrigued about learning more of Jesus. I told him that it was exactly what I did- and so he happily gave me his number and set a return appointment. It never occurred to me that people might not associate God and Jesus Christ together- and therefore how important it is that they know the message we share IS centered on the Saviour! I was thankful that student was inspired to ask me about Jesus, and that it's taught me to be very specific in all that I say.

I met another Chinese student this week and had one of the best conversations ever on the street. We began talking about families and I asked him where he thinks our families go after we die. He said simply that he believes we cease to exist. As he asked me what I thought, I told him that we teach families continue on after the grave and that the reason we're on earth is to prepare us to live together. He was confused at the thought, and curious to know more. It was just the best feeling ever when you're able to have a conversation that goes just how you want it- I swear, it never happens! And yet this week it did. Ah, what miracles! 

As for our two baptismal dates, they continue to be awesome. We met them bothSunday morning and so we went on splits; Elder Marshall taught Ricky, the one from China, and I taught Ethan, the one from Iran. The lesson with Ethan was awesome- he is just so so prepared. He told us that he has school Monday-Saturday9am-2pm. He then walks each day from school to work, which goes from 3pm-8pm. The only day he has free is Sunday, and he chooses to even come early for a lesson, because he knows that there's something about this church, and he feels something different when he does come. Talk about faith!

And those were just a few of the highlights for the week. Honestly, the work here is exhausting, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being around all the missionaries each day, being able to meet so many Koreans!, and most of all to really give my all to the people here. Missionary work is the best!

Much love,

Elder Easton

Oh P.S. as for an Aussieism- we had a Zone Dinner Last night and we cooked up heaps of sausages. I learned 2 of the slang words for sausages here- "Bangas" and "Snags". Usually you call them "Bangas" when you have them on a sandwich or with mashed potatoes, and "Snags" when it's with a barbeque. Haha I have absolutely no idea how those two names came to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment