Friday, October 24, 2014

Happenings in Harbour City 4

Another week flies by!

First things I'd just like to mention what a small world this is- this week I went on a trade-off with Elder Fowler, a Chinese speaking missionary in my district. And it just so happens that Elder Fowler and I went to middle and high school together! He lives by Butler elementary. It was so fun to catch up with him and talk about things and people we both knew! Too fun.

The most prominent miracle for me this week was probably meeting Olivia. I have been reading a lot on what it means to be mighty in prayer, and to have total faith, doubting nothing that the Lord will fulfill His promises. Well on Wednesday I decided to pray with all the energy of my heart to not only meet a Korean- but to set a return appointment, and to be able to meet them again. I had a lot of doubts, but I did my best to push them all out and just trust that I could do that. Well near the end of the day we were walking through Belmore Park and I saw a Korean girl sitting on a bench, so I went up and chatted to her, and although we had a nice conversation she was pretty disinterested in meeting again. I was grateful I could talk to her, but as I walked away I wondered in my head if that girl was the one Heavenly Father had provided me, and if only I had tried a little harder I could've accomplished my goal. I felt pretty disappointed in myself. About 5 minutes later, as we were walking back to the flat, I struck up a conversation with another Asian girl- and turns out she was Korean! As soon as she said she was from Korea, I knew that I hadn't let down the Lord- and that He hadn't let me down either. I just felt so assuredly that this was the Korean Heavenly Father had prepared for me, and as I talked to her I felt confident in extending the commitment to learn more and meet again. And she accepted! It was just such a confirmation to me that Heavenly Father wants to help me and bless me, and can use me even with my massive imperfections. 

Actually, looking back this week has been full of meeting and progressing with Koreans. I feel like a pot on the stove when it's just about to start boiling- when the water at the tops just begins to swirl around. I know that accomplishing my purpose here, especially called to learn Korean, depends entirely on my hard work, diligence and faith. I am beginning to understand more and more that out of those three, the very most important is the faith- I could be the best speaker, but without the faith and confidence, the trust in the Lord- I could do nothing. Comparatively, when I trust totally, doubting nothing, even my broken and limited Korean skills can be an influential part in bringing the Lord's children to Christ.

As for our investigators, Ethan came to church- and still awesome as! Ricky couldn't make it because the train lines were down yesterday, but he still seems to be doing great. We just have to be patient, and faithful, in helping them! 

And for an Aussieism, I've been thinking about it a lot about it and think I found an interesting one. Here they call Cotton Candy "Fairy Floss". Keep that in mind when I tell you the next part. I think this might be specifically a "Sydneyism", but there are Asian bread shops EVERYWHERE. Like bread shops are the "in thing right now". Anyhow Elder Marshall and I stopped in at one last week and I bought a pastry called "Pork Floss"- yep, it was a bread bun with pork-cotton-candy on top. It was actually very delicious, except it felt like I was eating hairy bread. Yum. 

And that's a wrap for this week! 

Sending my love,

Elder Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment