Tuesday, September 23, 2014

It's all Happenin' in Harbour City!

        What a hectic week!

Almost my whole week was spent roaming the streets, talking to anyone that would listen. I loved it, although my legs felt like jelly after the first day. I really enjoyed going to Victoria Park, it's actually the same park I used to go to all the time back in Summerhill, so it brought back a lot of good memories! Overall a fun, and certainly tiring, week.

On Tuesday we were on our way to the Sydney Opera House when a girl passed me by with her headphones on. I had the slight inclination to talk to her, but we were going in the opposite direction and I was already walking away from her. I really felt like I needed to speak to her though, and I turned around to see where she was- already pretty far away.I decided not to bother, that it was already a lost cause, and then the strangest experience came- I felt like someone was yelling in my head "GO TALK TO HER". It shook me up and so I turned around and ran all the way to catch up to her. I bet I looked pretty funny to everyone driving by, but I didn't care! Haha. I ended up talking to her for awhile and found out she had just come from China, and had been talking to her Christian roommates about God recently and was curious to learn more. Coincidence? Certainly not. We're seeing her this week, and I couldn't be more grateful for that yelling voice in my head!

I'm learning more and more on my mission that some people are just prepared. On Sunday morning before church we met with Ricky, an investigator from China. He met Elder Marshall his 4th day in Australia, and had really been pondering the existence of God. It seemed to him that Elder Marshall just shown up at the right time. I have never seen anyone, Chinese or Aussie, who was so engaged and interested in the message we were sharing- it was almost as if he had anxiety because he wanted to learn more so badly. When we committed him to baptism, his answer was immediate and resounding- yes! He really is desiring an answer from God, a sureness in his heart, and he was firm in committing that the moment he feels his answer, he will be baptized. When we sat down for the sacrament later that day, I saw out of the corner of my eye Ricky praying so earnestly to himself. It deeply humbled my heart, to see someone so sincerely desiring to know the existence of God. Isn't Ricky just awesome?!

Another investigator, Ethan, came to church yesterday. He's from Iran, and he's been a bit skeptical about Jesus and Christianity and what not. Well it was so cool- after sacrament meeting I asked him what he thought, and he said, "I felt something there that I haven't felt before. And I really liked it." After explaining that it was the Holy Ghost he felt, he responded, "I think I know now that Jesus is the way". He committed to be baptized in October. 

Another experience finding was Emmy. She is a Chinese girl studying her masters in Education at the University of Sydney. I got talking to her and she thought it was really strange I just walked up to her and started a conversation, but she thought it was fun, too. Haha. As we got talking she explained that she found God about a year ago and has been going to church and bible studies every week since. I shared with her a little bit about the Book of Mormon and the importance of Authority, and she agreed to meet up again. At the end of our conversation, she said "I think God really did put you in my path today. Thank you". I am really looking forward to teaching her more!

One last happening I'd like to share is about a member in the ward. He actually grew up in Sandy, and graduated the same year I did, just from Alta. We actually have the same circle of friends, and I think we've met a few times before! Anyways, he was very inactive, and through a course of events came to Sydney for some work. Before he left his friend's mom made him promise to go to church just once in Australia. He promised, and wanted to get it out of the way so he went his first Sunday. And since then he's been coming every week! The very best part is that when I met him yesterday, he had just gotten out of an interview with Bishop and had submitted his mission papers. What a miracle. Whoever that mom was that made him promise to go to church, I am sure that there are lot of people now and in the future who will be very, very grateful for her influence on him. 

As for an Aussieism, I thought I'd tell you about the 2 main grocery stores here. Well first off they don't actually call them grocery stores, but just 'the shops'. Basically every store they just call 'the shops'. If you're going out for clothes, food, or anything, you just say 'I'm going to the shops'. Anyways the 2 stores are Coles and Woolworths, though everyone calls Woolworths 'Woolys'. These two stores run Australia, and have shops, petrol stations, magazines, everything. The interesting thing is that both these stores are owned by the same parent company- Sears from the U.S. Now I forget if I've already told you this but I don't think so! So hopefully not, haha.

Well, love you all heaps and hope you enjoy your week!

Elder Easton


Photo: Snow, a Korean member, took Elder Ko and I out for lunch (Elder Ko is the other Korean speaking Elder in the Zone). She took us to this hole-in-the-wall Korean restaurant and ordered HEAPS of food- so delicious! There was this one that was so spicy, Elder Ko and I were crying and sweating out of every pore in our face. Gotta love that hangook food!

No comments:

Post a Comment