Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Happenings in Harbour City 7

Transfers!

This transfer I have been given a new companion, truly a miracle... President Howes put the other Korean Elder in the ward with me! Elder Ko! I literally am overjoyed... this is only the second time on my mission I've had a Korean companion, and I am so so excited. I didn't think this would happen, because Elder Ko was already in the ward, but we just switched companions- so my old companion, Elder Marshall, is still in the ward. So it'll be good to still see him :) But I am just so happy, because now Elder Ko and I can really focus on building the Korean program and helping each other!! Wahoo!!!

So besides that amazing miracle, it has been a pretty good week.

Our investigator, Ethan, is amazing. We taught him Word of Wisdom and Chastity this week, and he had no qualms. He is just so prepared. His date is for November 6th, there's only one problem- because he's from Iran, he has to get Area Presidency approval before he can be baptized. We are a bit worried that his situation at present may be an issue, so please please keep him in your prayers! Hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted out.

One highlight of this week was meeting with Nuri and Sol, the Korean sisters (funnily enough, I taught them with Elder Ko, even though we weren't companions yet). we read my favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon together- 3 Nephi 17. Isn't it just amazing? Near the end Sol shared a spiritual experience with us. She has been struggling with a trial for quite some time now, and she told us that after the lesson last week, she left the chapel and just felt her burden lifted. She slept well for the first time in weeks, and in the morning she felt good again- and she knew it was because she's begun coming back to church. Isn't that amazing? It's so incredible to get to witness someone regaining their testimony. 

Yesterday we were asked to teach the lesson for Family Home Evening. Elder Ko and I had no idea what to teach... and randomly I remembered watching a funny music video on the youth website of lds.org called "Find My Cousins". It's just some cheesy clip of people doing Family History work. We thought with the recent push of Family History, it'd be a fun way of introducing the topic, so we planned to teach about how to do Family History. I got onto Family Search to print off my Family Tree, and ended up printing off some photos and stories of ancestors to share during the lesson. I was amazed- there were pictures and biographies of some of our really old ancestors, that I didn't even know were there! It was amazing! Just for example, I read about William Wallace Merrill, who was baptized by John Taylor and crossed the plains with the Pioneers, joined the Mormon Battalion, and settled in the west. How awesome is that- and I had no idea that he was in my family!! Literally, I can honestly say that I felt the Spirit of Elijah as I read about these ancestors. I felt like they were more than interesting historical people- they were some how a part of me. Corny, maybe, but definitely true. I couldn't stop- I kept reading about my ancestors and printed off as many stories as I could, so I could read them during dinner. I love it.

So while I'm on my mission, I don't have much time to do the work for the dead- I'm called to do the work for the living. But for those of you at home who can, I would strongly suggest taking time to look at your tree online and make some plans to add more people to it :) 

And that was just a part of my week! I'm definitely looking forward to this next transfer, especially to really dive in and put my whole heart into the Korean program. Keep me in your prayers!

Much love,

Elder Easton

P.S. This week's Aussieism- Medicine in Oz! The Australian version of "Airborne" (The vitamin tablet you put in water and fizzes) is called "Berocca". They don't really sell IBprofun or Advil- instead, it's called "Panadol", and lastly, you buy your meds at the "Chemist", not the "Pharmacy". Pretty interesting, hey?!

Love you all heaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment