Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, everyone!
I hope you're all enjoying the cold, Christmasy weather. Down here we've had 3 consistent days of 40degrees+, and it doesn't look like it'll cool down anytime soon! Haha, I am constantly glistening- that is, in my sweat. I'm learning to love it, though!
Elder Han and I met up with Letitia this week. She's doing good, she heard about the Word of Wisdom and isn't too sure about that.. which is hard because she still doesn't have a testimony of God, so we're working around helping her with that. We also went and visited an old former, his name is Izac and he's 11. He's aboriginal which is super cool, his mom and brother are baptised but not active and his dad is Catholic, but all for his son getting baptised. We're actually meeting up again tonight, let's hope it goes well!
Our Christmas Conference was so much fun! I had no idea there are so many missionaries in my mission- I've kind of been stuck in my little zone bubble since I got here! I also received the parcels and mail you've all sent me, thank you so much!! It literally has made my month! Mom and Dad, thank you especially for the felt tree- you'll be proud to know it's sitting up on my desk! I'm glad I get to be a part of that missionary tradition. Anyways the conference was a blast, we got to watch "Ephraim's Rescue" (loved it) and had a little talent show and all sorts of stuff. The only downside was the elders in the flat made ME drive all the way back from Baulkham Hills in the rush hour traffic... it took 2 hours to get home!! Stress to the max!! 
Speaking of Christmas, I had a holiday surprise this week! So a few of the moms in the ward have been noticing that some of my shoes are starting to fall apart... and so three families, the Dalmans, Byrnes and Stokes chipped in together and bought me a brand new pair of Rockports!!! I couldn't believe it!!! They're beautiful and fit perfect. I think we can definitely agree I'm well taken care of and watched over here in Summer Hill.
Our recent convert, Harry, (the one who got baptised the first Saturday I was here) went home to China this week. It's kind of dodgy, the only thing the church had for Harry was an email for him to write to in order to get in contact with the church. I am sad he left, but know he'll do great things in hastening the work in China.
This week, Elder Han and I have done heaps of service projects, including helping people move, weeding and gardening, and of course, mowing lawns. I have to say it was actually kind of nice to be able to mow the lawn again (And it helps that the lawns are teensy over here). 
Well, that about sums up the work down under for the week! Here's my weekly "Aussie-ism":
In the Spirit of the Season, I thought I'd send you all a treat. "Urine" for a good one- just don't pee your pants! The first time I walked into the bathroom to, well you know, I was surprised to see that the urinals aren't at all like the ones in the States- in fact, it's just a metal wall and a trough that you just stand next to and go.. maybe this grosses you out but I thought it was hilarious! Definitely a culture shock for me. And don't worry, after 3 months of trying to sneakily get a picture of one, I finally have done it, so I've attached the Australian Urinal in all it's glory just for you. Merry Christmas!
And now for the Spiritual thought for the week:
I found a quote I really like from President Lorenzo Snow which I found really applicable for all of us. It goes, 
"Each last day or each last week should be the best that we have ever experienced, that is, we should advance ourselves a little every day, in knowledge and wisdom and in the ability to accomplish good. As we grow older, we should live nearer the Lord each following day."
Some good advice, if you ask me.
Enjoy the holidays!! Love you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Cheers,
Elder Easton 

No comments:

Post a Comment