Monday, November 18, 2013

Another Week Down Under

Hello Everyone!
This week has had a HUGE amount of rain. It's rained almost every day, and BUCKETS. It's actually been a blessing for the bush fires, but it's also been really wet.. haha. Being the saavy spender that you all know I am, I decided not to buy an umbrella or rain jacket because as soon as I did I know it would stop raining... anyways I've had that logic for about 7 days now, so maybe I'll finally buy one today! 
Oh really quickly- sorry about emailing a day late! It was transfers this week and so our p-day got moved a day later. One of my zone leaders and another missionary in my district finished this transfer, and it was really weird saying goodbye to them! My district leader transfered, but besides those three everyone's still here! I'm glad I get to be with Elder Han still, and I love Summer Hill area, so all is good with me!
Some great news about Doris: we got her back! Elder Han and I decided last week just to stop by and give her some fruit and see what happens, and we ended up teaching a lesson and recommitting her to baptism! It was great news.
On Wednesday we had a "District Activity" to close off our transfer. One companionship in my district is in the Eastlakes Ward, which is a Tongan-speaking ward, and so we got invited to go over for one of their sports nights. I played footie for the first time, and it was so much fun! I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty frightening having giant Tongan men running at you, and for me it was basically dodgeball, except the ball was 50 some odd Tongan men, but still a blast. I also had "O-Ty" for the first time, a slushy drink that was basically milk with chunks and juice of watermelon, passionfruit, cantelope, etc. It was SO GOOD! I can understand why Tongans tend to be... larger, though, because when I sat down to drink, as soon as my cup would even start to look empty they'd take it while asking "Do you want more?" and fill it up no matter what I said. It was pretty funny, and I loved it! The best part about O-Ty is that they made it in a giant storage bin, so there was literally gallons of it, and it was completely gone by the end! Haha! The Tongan people are so loving. I'm so glad I get to experience a million different cultures here!!
My Korean teacher, Shin Ha-seon, leaves for Korea on Sunday, which I'm super sad about! She has helped me so much with learning the language! Hopefully I'll find someone else to submit to teaching us soon. I have actually met quite a few Korean students this week, but with the school year ending for all the unis, everyone's going back home! So finding's been a little tough, but hopefully once summer school gets going there'll be more students to prey on and teach, hehe.
Here's the Australian quirk of the week:
I'm about to get a little personal, but I feel like we're all at that level so it's good. I just can't hold in the strangest thing that I've found so far about Australia- my pee smells so weird! Maybe it's the water or perhaps my diet, but it just smells so strange. So be warned, if you ever come to Australia, you may be surprised at the distinctly different aroma in the bathrooms. TMI? Haha just had to put it out there!
And finally a spiritual thought for the week: 1 Nephi 21:15-16. I love the line "I will not forget thee". Heavenly Father knows who each of are and where we are at in life. He loves us literally so much that it's impossible for Him to forget about us. So turn to Him, because He will always be there. I came across this scripture one night this week where I was kind of feeling a little downhearted and lonely. It's incredible how the Lord works and helps us when we need it most. I have no doubt in my mind that He is real and He lives!
Love you all and talk to you soon,
Elder Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment