Monday, October 14, 2013

I come from the Land Down Under!

G'day Everyone!
It's been a great week as I've become more adjusted to life down here in the bush. It gets hotter and hotter everyday, with the peak being last Friday at 37degrees Celcius (I have no idea what that is in Fahrenheit), but it was a boiler! It's going to be a hot summer, I can tell you that! Haha. 
Elder Han and I did a lot of finding this week (aka street contacting) and have a few potential investigators, which is awesome. We also have some referrals, one of which being a Jehovah's Witness named Jacob. He is quite the character and really funny, when he first started talking to us he went off about all sorts of Conspiracy theories... it was hilarious. Thankfully we were able to talk to him a little bit about the gospel after his rantings and he's reading the Book of Mormon now!
Another investigator we started teaching this week is named Monica. She's a uni student from China and we met her in the park. Anyways she didn't have hardly any religious background but wanted to know more about God. At the end of our lesson we committed her to baptism... and she said yes! Even without knowing just about anything about the Church, her sincerity to understand and grow closer to God is definitely a miracle! She's what we all call a "Golden Investigator". Hopefully as we continue to teach her she'll keep that desire. Monica was for sure the highlight of my week.
The third investigator we're teaching is this 64-year-old Aussie named Doris. She'd walk by a member's office window everyday and so eventually he got to know her and gave her a Book of Mormon, and finally invited her to meet with the missionaries. She suffered from a stroke a few years ago and has had to teach herself how to talk again, so her speech is a little hard to understand but she's the sweetest old lady ever. I think she's just really lonely and wants friends and happiness around her, which is great because that's what our church is all about!! We're meeting with her again this week, pray that she'll decide to come to church!! I think that would be really good for her.
Because of the time zone differences, we watched General Conference this past weekend. It was so weird to me to go to the Chapel and watch all the sessions being broadcasted there. Loads different from that Utah life, haha. When everyone asked me how Conference was done in the States they were all astounded that we just watched it at home! I thought that was pretty funny. Conference was of course AMAZING, I loved the messages shared and thought it really applied to me as a missionary. I don't know about all of you, but I sensed an overall theme of bearing burdens and turning to the Lord for help. I loved it. While it's impossible to pick favorites, I'd have to say one of the best ones I heard was from Edward Dube of the 70, to "not look back" and how "Faith always looks forward". I think it was a great reminder to always be diligent in serving the Lord and not becoming complacent. Overall, it was one of the most spiritual and inspiring conferences I've ever listened to, and it made me kind of sad when President Monson said "Conference is now over". Can't wait for the Ensign to come out now!! haha.
So now for the most exciting news of the week (well, for me). I played prelude for all the General Conference Sessions, and on Sunday the Primary President came up to me and told me they hadn't had a pianist in primary for years, and if I would be willing to play for them. I was so exited!!! I'm now unofficially the Primary pianist, I think that would've made Grandma Easton so proud :)
Well, I hope everyone keeps trekkin' along this week! Thanks so much for all you do for me, and know that I love you!
Cheers, 
Elder Easton

No comments:

Post a Comment