Saturday, August 3, 2013

Week #1

Subject: Week One

Anneyoung Ah-say-oh!
That's Hello in Korean! How is everyone doing? Today (and every future Friday until September 30th) is my P-day. I am loving the MTC so far. Truly, it feels just like I am at summer camp, so it's been fairly easy to adjust so far. I love my district, and the Elders in my room are pretty awesome. Elder Ney (the one from our Stake) is actually in my room too, so it's been nice having someone I already know!
The language is my favorite part of the day. We have already learned how to read it, so I am really trying to improve my speed at reading. Tonight we have our first "investigator", Pak Meen Jee. Wish me luck!
My companion, Elder Wilkinson, is awesome. He is brilliant, he studied at Harvard last year and is already well beyond everyone else with the language. This is kind of tough, largely because I am competitive (especially with stuff like this) but I love that Elder Wilkinson is challenging me to work harder and learn it faster. All the same, he's a great guy. He's a star student and lives in Austin, Texas (except during school) but is the most humble kid in our district. He is incredibly nice, and I think him and I will really get along.
So, guess what? Last night I was made District President! It's not really that exciting, all it means is I collect mail twice a day and do interviews once a week, but all the same I am excited to have another opportunity to serve. I really want to help the other Elders feel welcome and comfortable, and I think this'll be a great way to do that!
Thank you to everyone who's sent me Dear Elder Letters so far. Those have really made my day, as it is so nice to get a touch of home during the week. I am not missing home too much yet, but whenever I start thinking about being gone for 2 years it is still a little overwhelming, so I just won't think about it! Haha.
Hey mom, I have some quick favors to ask! When you get a moment, could you send some things to me? Specifically I would like those shoes you got me last week, my Hawaiian shirt (the green one), and maybe another t-shirt? There is definitely more time to lounge around in "normal people clothes" than I thought. All that stuff should be either hanging in my closet or in one of the green bins in my closet. Kum-suh-me-dah! (Thank you in Korean) Also mom, I didn't get that letter to you sent off until today, so you probably won't get it until tomorrow. Don't worry, it's coming.
It has been so nice to see so many friends here at the MTC! Elder Crump is only two floors down, which is really nice, and although I haven't seen him much it's still great to know he's there. I have also run into several other friends, including Sarah Gunnerson, Caitlin Carr, Kolton Savage, Nate Wunderli (who's dorm is next door to mine), and Brynn Wilde, which has been super cool. My really good friend Justin Mansell is also here, and his classroom is next door to mine (he's speaking Mandarin) and his dorm is three floors down, so it's been a blessing to have his help. He's come up a few times to tell me what'll be happening and eats meals with me and my companion, which is awesome. 
Speaking of the food, it is delicious! I have loved it so far. Even with the constant warnings not to drink the orange juice, I still challenged myself and had a glass of it yesterday morning. Afterwards... nothing really happened. Maybe it's just a body type thing, but I was just fine with it.
It's still getting hard to adjust to the time schedule change. I feel like I am still asleep until around 11 am, and even with some Tylenol PM I still am wide awake at night. I think it'll just be a matter of adjusting.
These three days have already been ridiculously busy, but I have loved every second of it. It feels SO good to finally have something to do, instead of being a potato like I feel I've been all summer. All the Elders in my district have adopted the phrase "Obedience brings blessings, but strict obedience brings miracles". I'm trying my best to strictly observe all the rules.
The campus here is pretty nice, although all the buildings are just tall enough that you can't see over them, and give the impression that you're in a compound. It's a little frustrating when all I can see is sky, instead of cars or people or even the mountains, but it's nice in the sense that I don't feel like anyone's on my back about anything. Even with the schedule, there're no administrators or counselors making sure you're doing what you're supposed to, which is new to me. It's all on the honor code- that you'll wake up, be on time to class, follow the rules, etc. It's nice to be in charge, it makes me want to do it more than if I were forced to.
Before I forget, there's something I need mom and dad to do. Apparently in the Mission Packet that I received with my call ( the blue one with the baptism on it), it said I needed to bring records of my immunizations.. and I didn't. Besides being suprisingly crotchedy for missionaries, the old folk missionaries in charge gave me some info that I need you two to take care of: could you please mail my immunization/shot records to me ASAP or fax them to 801-422-0860? Maybe even both, just in case? I need them by next thursday, or according to them all hell will break loose. Thanks!
Dad, have you had a moment to get on my email and send me the information needed to email to my mission president? If not, do you know if you could take care of that? I have little to no time on the computers and I really need that taken care of. Thank you sososo much! Also, thanks for checking in on my FBI clearance. That's good news!
Well, thanks again to everyone who's sent me a message so far. I know it's only been three days but I'm already missing all of you, but am loving the experience at the MTC. Thanks for your prayers, I need each and every one of them! I'll send pictures next week.
With Love,
Elder Easton
(Ee-suh-tohn Chag-no Eem-nee-dah)
P.S. Just so you know, getting packages is like Christmas day in the MTC! Just sayin... haha. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment